Michael K

Photos By: 

Michael K.
Jorge S

Event Location: 

Sheraton Hotel, Framingham, MA

Year: 

Report: 

The weekend before Thanksgiving means one thing to collectors and pop culture fans here in the Boston Area, The annual Super MegaFest Show is back and open for business and fans of all ages and types converged on the Sheraton Hotel in Framingham MA for two full days of treasure hunting, autograph-seeking and question and answer sessions with many of the celebrities in attendance.

This year autograph seekers were rewarded with a small yet respectable array of actors, musicians and artists. Featured guests included Patrick Stewart from Star Trek: The Next Generation and the X-Men films, Sean Astin from The Goonies and the Lord of the RIngs trilogy, and a pair of Boba Fetts, Jeremy Bulloch and Daniel Logan. Other celebrities signing autographs included Anthony Michael Hall from The Breakfast Club and Sixteen Candles, Peter Tork from The Monkees and Tracey Gold from the TV show Growing Pains.

Also making appearances this weekend were some of the Star Wars fan groups in the New England area. As always, leading the invasion were the nicest bad guys in the galaxy, the 501st New England Garrison. The men (and women) in armor were out in full force once again holding a "Shoot the Trooper" event with all proceeds going to charity. Also on the scene to raise some much needed funds for a deserving charity was the Massachusetts Fan Force chapter who was pounding the convention hall floors selling raffle tickets for their Star Wars gift baskets to help raise money for Autism Speaks. Both of these groups seemed to be benefitting from the numerous charitable fans in attendance this weekend.

The highlight of the show this year for myself was the opportunity to sit down for a one-on-one interview with the original Boba Fett himself, Jeremy Bulloch. Mr. Bulloch could not have been more gracious and accommodating, taking the time to answer every one of our questions with the warmth and depth you could want. Several topics we talked about included how he landed the role of Boba Fett, what his favorite movie of all time is, and what it's like going from intergalactic bounty hunter to grandfather of ten! I've had the opportunity to meet Mr. Bulloch in the past, but this was my first chance to sit down with him and have a conversation. It was an honor and a privilege for him to share a small part of his weekend with me and I look forward to his next visit to our area. Check out the interview with Mr Bulloch on our YouTube channel.

In my opinion this year's show didn't quite measure up to some of the past shows with a reduced dealer area, not enough 'celebrities' and far too many 'adult models' for a family friendly show. That said, everyone both young and young-at-heart seemed to genuinely enjoy themselves the entire weekend. With that I wrap up my report from this year's event. Once again I had a blast, caught up with some old friends, and made a couple of new ones.

Until next time, this is Scruffy signing off for CollectorsCantina.com.

C-3PO Life-Size Bust

Po-Zu Star Wars