Michael K

Photos By: 

Michael K.
Jorge S

Event Location: 

Sheraton Hotel, Framingham, MA

Year: 

Report: 

This past weekend brought the annual Super MegaFest Show back to the Boston area. The theme of this year's show was 'Celebration'. No, it wasn't a Star Wars Celebration, but instead celebrated two milestone birthdays. First was MegaFest itself, celebrating 10 years of bring the best in pop culture to the Massachusetts fans. The second birthday that was celebrated was that of the Guest of Honor, Comic Book Legend Stan Lee who will be celebrating his 90th (90TH!!!) birthday in a couple of weeks. For those with the desire and deep pockets, an exclusive birthday party was held Friday night which included a meet and greet with the legend himself. Needless to say, Mr. Lee's appearance brought out a record number of convention attendees as people lined up for hours to enter the Sheraton just to meet the man who brought all of Marvel's greatest characters to life.

In addition to Stan Lee, there was a small but respectable array of actors, musicians and artists invited to meet and greet their fans. Featured guests included Sean Young from 'Ace Ventura' and 'Blade Runner', Dean Cain from 'Lois and Clark', John Amos from 'Die Hard 2' and the classic TV series 'Good Times' and the original Darth Vader himself, David Prowse. Other celebrities signing autographs included Bruce Boxleitner from 'Babylon 5' and 'Tron', Kevin Sorbo from 'Hercules', Deep Roy from the original 'Star Wars' trilogy and 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory', and wrestling icon and WWE Hall of Famer Jimmy 'Mouth of the South' Hart.

There were also plenty of vendors in attendance, offering up a never-ending buffet off collectible goodies ranging from Gentle Giant mini-busts, to comic books, movie posters, vintage vinyl records (remember those?) and prop replicas. Also filling up the convention center were the cosplayers, who outdid themselves this year. I managed to see everything from Yoda, Batman and the Crazy 88's from 'Kill Bill' to Mr. T, a Cylon Centurion and even a 7-foot tall Na'vi from the film Avatar.

Also making appearances this weekend were some of the Star Wars fan groups in the New England area. As always, leading the invasion were the nicest bad guys in the galaxy, the 501st New England Garrison. The men (and women) in armor were out in full force once again collecting toys and raising money for the Toys for Tots charity. Also on the scene to raise some much needed funds for a deserving charity was the Massachusetts Fan Force chapter who was pounding the convention hall floors selling raffle tickets for their Star Wars gift baskets to help raise money for Autism Speaks. Both of these groups seemed to be benefitting from the numerous charitable fans in attendance this weekend.

In my opinion this year's show was easily the biggest one in it's 10 years of existence. Saturday's lines were at a record length but that did nothing to drown-out the excitement and electricity that the masses brought to this year's Super MegaFest. 

With that I wrap up my report from this year's event. As always I had a blast covering the show, caught up with some old friends, and made a couple of new ones.

Until next time, this is Scruffy signing off for CollectorsCantina.com.

Star Wars Celebration Orlando

C-3PO Life-Size Bust